I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

why.

word of the day: why \ˈhwī, ˈwī\ for what cause reason or purpose

I should really be in bed. Really.

However, this blog sits here practically unwritten on and I feel especially compelled tonight to at least put something down on paper (so to speak). So, here goes.

It's far too easy to get bogged down when you live the life of a teacher (if you want to get straight to the point). There's always something to do. Always a post-it note of to-dos or a deadline creeping up on you. Always an email to respond to or a report to print out. Always a worksheet that needs printed three days in advance or a lesson that needs tweaked. There's always a lesson that needs tweaked.

It's easy to ask yourself, "Why?" when you're a teacher.

Why did I willingly enter into a profession that requires so much of me? That sucks my energy dry at times. That causes me to lose sleep at night. Why did I choose a profession that I inevitably bring home with me every night because I don't know where the minimize button is?

The point of this post, though, is not the question, but rather the answer.

On Monday and Tuesday, my kids recited poetry. Each student chose a poem, analyzed it, and stood in front of the class with a spotlight blinding them while they recited it for us. About 15 of my students memorized their poems and totally rocked the whole experience.

On Tuesday night, I watched a handful of my kids perform in a show choir concert and I about fell off my chair I was so darn proud of those kids.

I came home from the concert and bragged to Jake about how wonderfully talented all my students are. That's when it hit me. This is why.

I get to watch kids grow into their skin everyday. I get to navigate them through new learning and new ideas. I get to watch them succeed, struggle, learn, and grow all because of the profession I chose.

And that freakin' rocks.

I suppose that as an English teacher I should probably be able to conjure up a better adjective than 'Freakin', but there isn't a better adjective to prove the point.

I have this sign that hangs above the filing cabinets in my classroom. It looks like an eye chart, but upon further observation, it repeats the phrase "Do what you love" over and over again.
Sometimes I forget momentarily the answer to the question "Why?" Then answer walks into my room in the form of iPods and Air Jordans. The answer stays after school for help and brings cakes in to share with their classmates. The answer walks in packs and brings a smile to my face on a daily basis. I do what I love because of those kids and I hope that's something I never lose sight of.

1 comment:

My Secret Rooms said...

ThIs blog is great! It's my first visit.
My job has the same meaning to me :-)
I'll be back!