I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

junkie.

word of the day: junkie, \ˈjəŋ-kē\: a person who derives inordinate pleasure from or who is dependent on something.

Does junkie have a negative connotation? Does it insinuate drug pushers on the streets? I am certainly not a junkie in that sense of the word.

I AM a junkie of words. My favorite of all words is "synecdoche**" (sə-ˈnek-də-(ˌ)kē) and when Akeelah was asked to spell it in "Akeelah and the Bee," I just about fell off my seat (you can ask my now-husband, then basically-boyfriend).

There is a word for everything. No, scratch that, there are words for everything. Good, bad, happy, and sad just don't cut it anymore. That jambalaya I made Jake a few months into our marriage wasn't just bad, it was abysmal (reference "Friends," season 8 The One With the Cooking Class). I don't just like Harry Potter, I have a slightly over the top infatuation. Iowa winters aren't just cold, they are like living in a freezer in Alaska at times.

See what I mean? Word junkie.

Just a word junkie, though? I suppose you could say I'm a Jake junkie. I'm a McDonald's ice cream in the summer junkie. I'm a warm cup of coffee with a little bit of milk junkie. I'm a good book followed by an even better discussion junkie. I'm a sun dress with leggings junkie. I'm a Jesus junkie.

Wait what? Am I really? Sometimes I'm not so sure.

And so this blog was born. I can often define specific times in my life with single words. God uses these words to speak to my soul. My thinking, then, is that perhaps God has made me a word junkie in order to grow me into a more passionate Jesus junkie.

If you remember, the definition of "junkie" is simply a person who derives inordinate pleasure from or who is dependent on something.

May I derive inordinate pleasure from Jesus.
May I be dependent on Jesus.

Isn't that really what it's all about?

**You should really look up the definition of this word (see m-w.com).

2 comments:

nate said...

Molls, this was fantastic, bombastic, and fanatical!

Rachel said...

Hi Molly! This is Nate's sister. I am going to love reading your wordy blog as much as I have enjoyed reading your Christmas letters!