I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Monday, March 29, 2010

spring.

word of the day: spring \ˈspriŋ\ (noun):
1. a source of supply
2. a time or season of growth or development
3. the act or an instance of leaping up or forward

I love words with multiple meanings. I especially like the word "spring."

In past years, spring has brought with it a season of uncertainty. This season follows a similar trend. In these times, I find "spring" to be an instance of leaping forward. Jake and I continue to press forward and jump into the unknown in faith that we'll figure out where we're going eventually.

Med school?

Teaching?

Ultimately, I have learned that it's not up to me to figure out what I'm jumping into.

And so, spring often becomes a season of growth. Obviously Iowans are especially happy when spring comes around, because the 3 months of snow finally melt. Flowers peek out of the soil and the sun comes out and stays out for more than a day at a time. I find that I learn the most about myself during the spring. I grow in the fact that times are often uncertain and I am called to trust that God has a plan for my life. In those times, I am reminded that "faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky (Psalm 85:11)."

And so, spring has become a source of supply. The uncertainty and process of jumping forward has lead to a season of growth, which inevitably leads to a recognition of where my source of supply is.

"Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (Jesus to the woman at the well in John 4:13-14)

The water that Jesus offers will become in me a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

Jesus also says that to the thirsty he will give from the spring of water of life without payment (Revelation 21:6).

Suddenly, spring has a much more beautiful meaning. It brings with it a promise of sustainment and faithfulness. It brings a season of growth and character development. It brings with it new adventures to jump head first into.

That's why it's my favorite season. What will God teach you in this season of growth and where will He call you to leap? Will you trust Him as the source of your supply?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

What a great post! Molly, I really enjoy reading your words. I need to think about my Source each and everyday.