I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Friday, April 2, 2010

good.

word of the day: good \ˈgu̇d\

Good Friday. Today I've been thinking especially about the irony of that name.

As an adjective, "good" has plenty of different meanings and connotations. It means handsome or attractive (good looks). It references something suitable (good enough to eat) or profitable (he made a good job choice). I could say I had a good time at your house last night or that I had good reasons to turn in early. I OFTEN tell Jake that he made a good joke and I make sure to take good care of the house we're renting. You can have good taste, good intentions, and come from a good family.

It doesn't seem to me, though, that the "good" in Good Friday fits any of those definitions.

That's when I looked up the definition of "good" as a noun.

praiseworthy character
advancement of prosperity or well-being
something useful or beneficial


for good: forever; permanently
to the good: for the best; beneficial **


It doesn't seem to me that the "good" in Good Friday is an adjective at all. It's not a "good" day by any means, but it represents such goodness. The name of the day carries with it a much less ironic ring when I think of it as advancing my well-being forever. Ultimately it's for the best and represents the unfathomable praiseworthy character of the one who took my place.

Friday is good because of all that follows. Because of the character and purity of Jesus. Because I am not worthy to deserve any of it. Because Christ willingly endured the extreme opposite of "good" to ensure my place in eternity forever.

Without the unselfish goodness of Jesus, there would be much less to celebrate on Easter. May we remember the goodness of His sacrifice this weekend.

Good night and good bye.

**All definition references from m-w.com

No comments: