I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

risen.

word of the day: risen \ˈri-zən\; the past participle of rise.

I didn't hear the phrase "He is risen" until I was in college. One of my good friends said it to me around Easter time and I was quick to respond, "Amen!"

By now, I am well aware that the correct response is "He is risen indeed!" Is risen? Does that even make sense?

If my grammar serves me correctly, "is" is a present tense verb, while "risen" is past. According to my extensive English education (tongue-in-cheek), you are not supposed to do that.

He is risen?

He is risen indeed!

Christ's resurrection allows me to live in the present and future tense. It is right now. It is tomorrow. It is next week. It is every ounce of time I can wrap my mind around.

Christ was risen back then and remains risen today.

And THAT is something I can holler a big "AMEN" to.

Matthew 28:6 - He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

1 comment:

nate said...

The meaning of Easter is put into such nice words here.