I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Monday, August 30, 2010

time.

word of the day: time \ˈtīm\ a nonspatial continuum that is measured in terms of events which succeed one another from past through present to future

There's a loofa on my kitchen table.

There's an unopened box of toothpaste sitting on my kitchen counter.

There are two empty water bottles collecting dust on my coffee table next to the unopened bottle I took out of the fridge two hours ago.

There's a gold flip-flop on one of my kitchen chairs. It has been lonely there ever since Ginny got ahold of its counterpart with her razor sharp teeth.

On Sunday, Jake found six glasses that I had apparently been stowing away upstairs.

The clock in the bathroom has been without batteries for about nine months. Every morning when I get out of the shower, I look to see what time it is. Every morning it reads 3:21. Every morning I think, "Maybe I'll walk the five steps to the batteries and reset it. Instead, every morning, I forget.

It seems that time has been getting away from me lately.

Time is a funny thing, isn't it?

Last Saturday I was driving over to my parents' house and I was noticing the green leaves abundant on the trees. Doesn't it seem like just yesterday that those same trees were getting their first spring buds? And can you hardly believe that within the next month reds, oranges, and yellows will replace the bright shades of green?

Last week I was frantically trying to get things in place at the end of a school day. Had I been given the keys to time, I may have stopped my clock at 3:21. Instead, when I finally stopped to look at the time, it was 4:30 p.m. It was 30 minutes later than I was anticipating.

How is it that when we want time to stand still it moves more quickly?

Why is it that when I'm willing the minute hands to whiz around the clock they seem frozen?

Is a reference to an analog clock even relevant anymore?

There's not a point today. Just musings if you will. You'll probably hear more on the subject. I've found that when I get a word stuck in my head for an extended period of time there's usually a lesson to be learned somewhere along the road.

For now, though, I'm going to work on moving the loofa into the bathroom and I'll see if I can't help the empty water bottles find their way back into the fridge.

Or, maybe I'll just go to bed.



1 comment:

Courtney said...

This makes me laugh. I do all of those things. Why is it so hard for me to put my dish in the sink, or replace the light-bulb, or fold my laundry? My word of the day (for myself, not you) is laziness I think. ;)