I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

musings.

word of the day: musings (myoo-zing) thoughtfully abstracted

I wore a scarf today. First scarf day of the fall season, and let me tell you, it was grand. So grand, in fact, that two ninth graders stopped me in the hall to take a picture of my scarf for their fashion class. I tell you what, I could wear a scarf every day and never tire of the feel of it around my neck.

Last week I came home after school to a house that smelled something wonderful. I looked around for a candle or air freshener of some kind when I noticed the open window and breeze blowing in. The wonderful smell was Fall itself. You'd better believe that I pressed my face against the breeze and welcomed my old friend back. Nothing beats the smell of a fall breeze.

Tonight I donned a hoodie AND flip-flops, which if you ask me, is the ultimate combination.

I spent an hour reformatting my blog tonight to give it a more autumny feel. Did it work? Do you feel like going and jumping into a pile of freshly raked leaves?

How else do I know Fall is upon us? Football is on our television right now, it gets dark much earlier that 9:00, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back.

I love fall.

But I think I say that with every new season.

Life has been a whirlwind lately, to say the least. With everything new there is stress, anxiety, and moments where I just want to put my feet up on the coffee table and stop thinking. That's when I remember to pay attention to the little things.

For instance, tomorrow I get to wear jeans and my Beat State shirt to show my Iowa allegiance.

Jake has given me a present every day of the month of September so far. I didn't think he would actually follow through with the twelve days of September concept, but he has - wholeheartedly.

Every day I come home to a clean house thanks to Jake's thoughtfulness.

My mom keeps buying me black whiteboard markers and Clif bars, which happen to be two of my most favorite things in the whole world.

Sometimes those little things matter the most at the end of the day, don't they?

Sometimes it's in the form of an email from a friend who just wants to tell you that she's praying for you.

Sometimes it's a text message from your dad with a Proverb to add some perspective to your day.

Sometimes it's the fact that it's Friday and you have a date with your husband to look forward to.

Whatever it is, I'm learning that the little things have the power to change the dynamic of my day in even the slightest moment. They can ease my stress or put a smile on my face in even their simplest form. Again, I suppose it's all about perspective. The small things tend to remind me of the bigger picture.

And that's why I still haven't put batteries in my bathroom clock. In the grand scheme of things, is it really all that important?

No comments: