I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

adult.

word of the day: adult \ə-dəlt\
fully developed and mature; grown-up

My ninth graders think I’m super lame.  It all started when I told them I don’t have cable.  If you want to blow a teenager’s mind, tell them that bunny ears are still available for public use.  I took it one step further than my lack of cable, though.  I told them that sometimes, for fun, I sit on my couch and knit.  I think they were a little stunned when I actually brought this in to prove that I wasn’t joking:
In light of my students’ recent discovery of my lameness, I realized that many of the things I have been doing with my money and time do represent a certain adult quality and I feel obliged to reflect upon them.

This weekend I listened to The Giver on tape every time I drove my car.  (When I told the ninth graders that one, the first response was, “But why wouldn’t you listen to the radio?”)  Truth is, I’ve never been so excited to drive long distances.  I think I actually drove the speed limit to prolong the time I spent with Jonas and The Giver.

Nate gave me an Amazon gift card for my birthday (last September).  When it comes to gift cards, I tend to be a saver.  I’d rather keep it until I think of something I really want rather than blow it on a whim.  Turns out that something I really wanted was Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School by Kelly Gallagher.

And, I cannot wait to get into it.

Last, but not least, I’ve been saving money up for a new camera for some time now.  This weekend, and with the help of my mom, I brought home a brand spanking new Nikon 3100 complete with two fabulous lenses.  That means that the photo quality of this blog is about to increase dramatically.  Here are a few of my inaugural photos.  Remember…I’m still figuring this thing out.


Suffice it to say, I’m pretty ok with being a lame adult.

2 comments:

Erin said...

You don't seem at all lame to me, but that's probably only because I'm lamer. :)

Rachel said...

yea! you got a camera! have lots of fun with it! it was great seeing you guys...on our way home we had a box of Mike and Ikes and Alayna asked if we could pass her the Jake and Molly's :)