I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

only.

word of the day: only \ōn-lē\ unquestionably the best

I am Martha. 

I realized it the other day. I was reading The Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith and it hit me.  I suppose it’s our tendency to relate to Martha when we read Luke 10, but for some reason it struck a nerve this most recent time.  The story is familiar.  Martha was busying herself with chores.  She became frustrated when her sister Mary, rather than help her, simply sat at the feet of Jesus.  Luke says,

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to [Jesus] and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

                                     -Luke 10:40-45

I think the key word for me is “distracted.”  That’s what I am.  Distracted by all the preparations to be made.  Distracted by the dirty dishes on the counter.  Distracted by the lesson plans to be written.  Distracted by the spare bedroom that is littered with things yet to find a space.  Distracted by anything but the only thing that really matters. 

The thing that is unquestionably best.

Martha tried to serve Jesus before she abided in Him.  Mary had it figured out.  She sat at His feet and soaked Him in.  I think my approach is similar to Martha’s quite often.  More focus on serving, less focus on abiding. 

It’s all sort of falling into place in my mind now.  Martha didn’t do anything wrong; the chores needed to be done.  Service was necessary.  However, the service wasn’t necessary at that very moment in time.  Mary understood.  She recognized that there was nothing more important than listening to the teachings of Christ. 

So often I try to go straight to service.  I see now that I’m skipping a crucial step.

As of late, our Sunday sermons have been focusing on giving our lives away.  Our pastor has been encouraging us to find ways to give of ourselves each week.

I’ve been focusing on asking God to show me ways to give people my time.

It’s a funny thing asking that question.  Funny because He answers really clearly.  In both big and small ways. 

But He can’t show you those things if you’re not abiding in Him. 

I had this great blog worked out in my head initially where I wrote about all the ways God has provided me opportunities to give my time as of late.  But then I realized that I hadn’t really recognized any opportunities this past week.  I see now that it’s because I stopped listening.

I put the service ahead of the abidance.

What a great reminder it is for me to slow down.  To leave the dishes on the sink tonight and assure myself that my lesson won’t fail miserably tomorrow. 

It’s a great reminder that few things are needed—or indeed only one.

And that one thing is unquestionably best.

No comments: