I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Monday, April 2, 2012

insatiable.

word of the day: insatiable \(ˌ)in-ˈsā-shə-bəl\ incapable of being satisfied

I taught my students the word "insatiable" last week.  I used it in a blog post over Spring Break and thought it'd be a good one to use for our weekly "Word of the Week" (this week's is Audacity).

Since then, I can't stop thinking about what a great word it is.  I also can't stop thinking about how I have an insatiable desire to write more.  Spring Break spoiled me.

While we're on the subject, there are a few lingering Spring Break topics I never followed up on.  Like the completion of my window frames:
Or the new paintings I painted for our bedroom:
Thanks, Laura, for letting me steal your original idea!

In addition, I saw the Hunger Games and feel as though I owe it to my love of the books to write a review.  The short version is that I loved it.  Naturally it can't ever be as good as the book, but in terms of trueness to original text, I thought it was right on the money.  And, I'm now convinced that if you take your love of the book into the theater, you can use it to fill the voids the movie will inevitably leave. The long version is said best by my friend, Jessica Keller, in her recent blog post, "Why The Hunger Games is the Most "Christian" Book I've Read in a Long Time"

After watching the movie, I have an insatiable need for a new book series to throw myself into.  A series, preferably, and one that I can get so emotionally involved in that I start to forget the difference between reality and fiction.

To fulfill my insatiable longing to write, I found a website called "The Write Prompts".  The prompt for April 1st was the following:

It is a pity that, as one gradually gains experience, one loses one's youth.  - Vincent van Gogh

My first instinct is to think, "Yeah, that's really true."  It is a pity to lose one's youth.  But then, I wonder if it really is a pity.  If I were to become especially reflective, I would realize that I haven't gradually gained experience this year.  Instead, I've had it thrust upon me even when, at times, I'm not necessarily ready for it.  But with experience, comes growth and how can it ever be a pity to grow as a person?

I'm learning that each new phase of life becomes the "new normal."  Even when you don't think you're ready or you don't think you can handle it, you adapt and you figure out how to make it work.

And when I say "you", I really mean "me". 

So maybe you leave pieces of your youth behind, but you figure out what the new stage looks like based on the experience you take with you.  That, I think, is far from something to be pitied.

So is my evening (far from something to be pitied that is).  With the grill now in its rightful place, Jake and my's new favorite spot is to sit on our balcony listening to the steady buzz of Grand Ave.  It's just cool enough that a long sleeve tee is sufficent, and I've watched the moon rise steadily in the sky above me.  Who needs to revert back to childhood when you've got a night like this?

Rock. Chalk. Jayhawk.  

No comments: