I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

book.

word of the day: book \ˈbuk\ 

noun: a long written or printed literary composition 
verb: to schedule engagements for; to set aside time for

I found the following quote the other day on Pinterest (my latest obsession and time sucker):

I get absolutely and undeniably attached to book characters to the point where I cry and laugh with them, and physically miss them when I finish reading the book.

 Have you ever felt that way at the conclusion of a book?  I'm terribly sorry if you haven't.  I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett today and stared at the last page feeling sad that Aibileen, Skeeter, and Minny were now out of my life.  They had become so real, and I almost didn't want to believe that they weren't.  Their story in its simplest form reminded me to be kind.  At a deeper level, it provoked thought about people in general in a way that I'm still muddling through.  In any case, I really do literally miss those three fictional women.   My only consolation is that we'll meet again when the movie comes out in August.  

If you haven't read the book: read it.  

It's wonderful and disturbing and riveting and beautiful.  

There's only one other book in my library of read books that has elicited a similar response: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling.  She even gave me a "19 years later" epilogue, but I still found myself at a loss knowing that I would no longer get to take part in Harry, Ron, and Hermione's adventures.  Instead, I had to settle for knowing that they all settled down to live ordinary lives.  I am presently feeling that similar sense of disappointment because, as you may know, the final movie hits theaters on Friday.  For the last time, I will journey the big screen with those whom I both cried and laughed with throughout the book series.  

Of course we're going out with a bang.  It should really be a well known fact by now  that I love any chance I get to make much ado about nothing (or something pretty awesome in this case).
 The weekend is booked.  Nate is here (obviously).  The menu is set and we will be consuming butterbeer, treacle tarts, cauldron cakes, and licorice wands in mass quantities.  Oh, and we'll be watching a lot of movies.
The times have since changed, but the goal still stands: Seven Harry Potter movies plus the premiere of the newest in 4 days (we added Thursday night in case you're doing the math).  

Maybe I feel like I owe it to the characters for letting me take part in their journey for so long.  Maybe I'm just a big nerd.  Either way, hold your hippogriffs everyone, this weekend has all the fixin's for something pretty great. 

7 comments:

Heather said...

I just bought The Help!

Anonymous said...

I 'm jealous,

amanda said...

I want to go to a harry potter party...but right now I'm just hoping to make it to deathly hallows 2 sometime this weekend if mom can watch Edward! I know what you mean about loving those characters, and I'm glad the movies are all so excellently casted. p.s. how do I find you on pinterest?

Anonymous said...

I loved The Help also! Great book!

Aimee said...

Looooove!

Blake and Casey Burgess said...

I'm sooo jealous we couldn't make it to your harry potter party!!! :( I'm sure you guys had a fun time.

bree said...

This is the best thing i have ever read. you guys are so fun! i must admit you have inspired me to have a HP theme weekend when HP7DHP2 comes out on video. perhaps i will find friends at grad school with the same amount of love for the wizarding world as I do.