I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Friday, July 8, 2011

off-kilter.

word of the day: off-kilter \-ˈkil-tər\ not in perfect balance; a bit askew

The other day I looked in the mirror and felt like my eyebrows were following two different planes on my face.  One seemed noticeably higher than the other which was a troubling sight.  Tweezers in hand, I did my best to fix the imbalance although I got bored and probably stopped a little too soon.  You see, I hate plucking my eyebrows almost as much as I hate ironing.  I just don't do the latter, but unfortunately that's not an option with the former (I mean I guess it is, but let's not get into that).

You know how when you feel like something is wrong with your face it affects the rest of your day?  Like if your hair isn't just the way you want it or you have some sort of blemish on your face? Well, my askew eyebrows made my day off-kilter.  I was aware of the imbalance.  

Interestingly enough it was an eyebrows-on-two-different-levels kind of week last week in a way that had nothing to do with my face and everything to do with my heart.

I was reminded that God is the only one who can satisfy me.  Everything else in this world will let me down at some time or another--and trusting in those worldly things makes it all the more painful when they fall short.  There is so much good in my life; even if I lived a life without God, I would have much to find joy in.  So, I realized that it is my tendency to pull joy from the good things in my life and set my faith in the closest relationships to me.   But what I realize now is that God is the one who makes all things good. When my faith rests solely in Him, the relationships around me are made better.  But, when my joy comes from things outside of God, even things that in essence are still good and from Him, everything cracks and crumbles at some point.  It isn't as it should be without Him as the focal point.  It's askew.  It's off-kilter.

Jake's still pretty off-kilter.  But, as you would expect, he's not letting that stop him.  
He lit off black cats on the Fourth and then managed to hop away before they exploded.  Flinkmans love explosions--It didn't take long for him to leave his lawn chair in the garage.
Most recently he floated around the pool which was a nice change from the couch he's usually stationed on.  The cast stayed dry which is something I'm sure his doctor would like to know.  :-)
We love to spend holidays with family and were glad that injury didn't keep us home for the Fourth.  I managed to marry into a pretty great set of in-laws and I only wish we got to see them more frequently.  

In other news, Jake and I have watched 8 movies in the last 9 days.  I was a fan of 127 Hours (although I shielded my eyes for much of it), The King's Speech, and It's Kind of a Funny Story.  I felt fairly indifferent about Just Go With It, All Good Things, and Kill the Irishman.  And, I could have done without Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.  Sorry Quentin Tarantino. 

At this rate, I think we might watch all the movies in the Red Box.  Including Justin Bieber: Never Say Never.  IF I can convince Jake to watch it with me.  Jury's still out on that one.
When I look at your heavens, the work 
of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you
have set in place,
what [am I] that you are mindful of [me]?
and the son of man that you care for
him?
Yet you have made [me] a little lower
than the heavenly beings
and crowned [me] with glory and honor.
O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the 
earth!
-Psalm 8:3-5&9 (emphasis mine)

1 comment:

Clorrisa said...

Thanks for your authenticity and for awesome reminder that God NEEDS to be our focal point. No matter how tired or how crazy or how stressed or even how content and happy..... True joy and a strong foundation tests in HIM! :)
Enjoy your summer!!