I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

self.

word of the day: self \ˈself \ the union of elements (as body, emotions, thoughts, and sensations) that constitute the individuality and identity of a person.

I love to learn more about myself. If there is a personality test, I will take it, and I will probably buy into the results regardless of the reliability.

According to Myers-Briggs, I am an ESFJ. The summary of this personality type describes me almost perfectly. To give you an example:

Guardians of birthdays, holidays and celebrations, ESFJs are generous entertainers.

ESFJs are easily wounded. They by nature "wear their hearts on their sleeves."

When a decision must be made, especially one involving the risk of conflict (abhorrent to ESFJs), there ensues an in-house wrestling match between the aforementioned black-and-white Values and the Nemesis of Discord.
(http://typelogic.com/esfj.html)

I am all of those things. Ask Jake and he will nod his head in great agreement. Especially about the "wear their hearts on their sleeves" part.

I don't believe you can grow as a person unless you understand yourself. In order to utilize the strengths God has given us, we must know what strengths we possess. I, for instance, know that God has created me to be an encourager, a generous host, and a teacher. Because I know these qualities about myself, I can bless God by living them out.

In turn, I must also recognize my weaknesses. I know that I often lack joy in situations and tend to be a little bit high strung due to my Type A personality. These are things I must keep in check daily, and because I am aware such tendencies, I can more easily move past them.

What I am learning, though, is that I can not be defined by the characteristics of my "self."

Even though I am gifted in hosting, I am learning that I do not always have to be the host.

Even though I have a good sense for organization, I am learning that it is all right to let someone else take charge.

Even though, by definition, I am easily wounded, I am learning that I cannot default to that in order to justify bitterness.

Even though I truly do abhor conflict, I am learning that often conflict is a necessary aspect of any sound relationship.


God created us unique and we must know the intricacies of our selves in order to grow in our faiths and relationship with Him. He, after all, wired us the way we are for a specific reason.

We cannot, though, use the qualities of our "self" as a crutch to lean on or a pedestal to stand on. We must allow God to shine through the strengths our of personalities and to display His grace through our weaknesses.

Ultimately, Myers-Briggs can't define who I am. Only God can. And that's a great lesson to learn.

To change the subject, are you wondering who some famous ESFJ's are? I thought you probably were... Mary Tyler Moore, Nancy Kerrigan, Bill Clinton, Molly Weasley, and (the most obvious connection) Monica Geller from Friends.

1 comment:

nate said...

raise the roof for INFPs!! woot what