I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

sugar.

word of the day: sugar \ˈshu̇-gər\ a sweet crystallizable material that consists wholly or essentially of sucrose, is colorless or white when pure tending to brown when less refined, is obtained commercially from sugarcane or sugar beet and less extensively from sorghum, maples, and palms, and is important as a source of dietary carbohydrate and as a sweetener and preservative of other foods

Did you make it through all that? Don't worry, I didn't either.

We all know what sugar is. The real question is, do we know how much sugar we put into our bodies every day?

For a 2,200 calorie diet, it's suggested that you intake no more than 73 grams of sugar a day.

Easier said than done.

39 grams of sugar in one can of Coke.

11 grams in a glass of milk.

13 grams in a serving of BBQ sauce.

7 grams in a 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce.

13 grams in a nutrigrain bar.

27 grams in a 6 oz. container of Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt.

It adds up quickly doesn't it?

All this to say, that I have to decided to go sugar-free for two weeks starting May 3rd. Don't misunderstand - this is not a sugar-free diet. Rather, it is my attempt to become more aware of the amount of unnecessary sugar and processed additives that are a part of my diet.

This means no pop, breads, cereals, peanut butter, jelly, milk, chocolate, or (gasp) yogurt covered pretzels and lattes!

It means lots of vegetables, brown rice, chicken, fish, and low-sugar fruits.

It means self-control and diligence.

It means that if I come over to your house and refuse to eat your food, I am not being rude. So please, don't be offended.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Molly, I gave up desserts/candy for lent and I was shocked at how often I had been eating sweets! That was only desserts & candy! To actually cut out food with sugar in it? Thats a lot of food! Hope it goes well!