I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

substitute.

word of the day: substitute \ˈsəb-stə-ˌtüt, -ˌtyüt\ a person or thing that takes the place or function of another

I wasn't cut out to be a substitute teacher. It doesn't align very well with my Type A personality. I don't particularly enjoy waking up in the morning unsure of whether or not I'll be working, and I have encountered enough vague lesson plans to last me a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of experiences to be thankful for this past year. I got the chance to work with some really wonderful people and I made plenty of mental notes about things to implement in my own classroom.

That doesn't change the fact that I wasn't cut out to be a substitute teacher, though.

Today I was reminded of the definition of substitute: "a person or thing that takes the place or function of another."

I wasn't made to be a substitute teacher, and for some reason, this past year was a substitution for the ultimate goal.

Maybe it was so I could enjoy another obligation-free year of marriage with Jake.

Maybe it was to remind me of my worth in Christ. To show me again that it is not the things I do which define my identity.

Maybe it was to push me out of my comfort zone.

Maybe it was to reaffirm my desire to be a teacher.

Maybe I won't know why I spent this past year as a substitute until I'm forty and have that twenty-twenty hindsight they are always talking about.

Maybe it was so I would learn that I don't always have to have the answer. I don't always have to try to figure out the plan while I'm in it. I just have to trust that in the end, it will all work out - that God has me right where He wants me.

As I look back, I'm thankful that God substituted this year of my career path with subbing. I know that I'll be able to better serve Him with my gifts because of it.

And you can bet that next year, I'll write the best sub notes around.

No comments: