I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

benefit

word of the day: benefit \ˈbe-nə-ˌfit\

noun: an entertainment or social event to raise funds for a person or cause
verb: to be useful or profitable to

We went to the noun kind of benefit on Friday at my high school alma mater: Des Moines Christian School.  A couple of months ago the Development Director called and asked me if I would be willing to recruit some fellow '04 graduates to fill up a table and speak highly about our experience should anyone ask.  Sounded like an excuse for a good time, so I happily agreed. 
There were ten of us total: Five graduates and five significant others, although to the naked eye, I'm not sure you could tell the difference between the two.  
 The last time I went to a DMC benefit I was in high school, so between refilling glasses of iced tea and singing on stage with the show choir, I never actually sat through an entire program.  I'm happy to say that I now have. 

It chokes my throat all up to be in a place where God is clearly at the forefront.  A place where first graders proudly recite Romans.  A place where an eleventh grader speaks honestly about how her life is being shaped by her faith.  A place where Tom Sawyer takes Christian overtones, staff members speak about convictions, and premiere parking spots auction off for $4200. 

The noun kind of benefit has then reminded me of the verb kind of benefit. And you know how I feel about those words with multiple meanings.

What a useful and profitable experience I had in high school. 

It's useful in the way that it taught me to think.  I am convinced that I am a more well-rounded thinker because of the way my worldview was shaped in high school. 

It's profitable in a way that has nothing to do with money.  My life has been benefited by the people who continue to influence my life even today. 

For one reason or another, God has chosen to bless me with really great friends in every season of life and for that, I will forever be thankful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a totally unrelated note, I had quite the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" Saturday yesterday.  You know the kind.  

If you wake up with every intention of going the gym, you will realize upon waking how horrifyingly disgusting your shower is (I don't use those adjectives lightly).  

So, you roll up your pants, grab the rubber gloves, and scrub the heck out of the tile with a bowl of hot water and bleach.  

Then, you figure, that since you're already wearing rubber gloves and already have a bleach stain on your pants, you might as well clean the sink and toilet.

Well, you can't very well clean only one counter in the house, so you move to the kitchen table and clear the clutter.  

As you go to grab the Pledge to dust off the table, you notice the bottle of Pine Sol in the back of the cabinet.  Upon inspection, you read "Great for floors!" and wonder why you wouldn't spend time hand washing all the tile floors.  

As you're on hands and knees washing and humming softly "Sing, Sweet Nightingale," you're bound to notice the smudges on the mirrors and windows.  

As you wash the bathroom mirror (the last in the house), you remember looking in the same mirror 2 hours earlier with every intention of going to the gym.  

Then you look in the shower you also cleaned 2 hours earlier and decide that's much more inviting. 

Moral of the story?  Having a clean house is nice.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Can you come to my house and notice all the things that need cleaning here? Oh, and then maybe clean them? :)
Did you guys bust out the $4200 for the parking spot?