I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

center.


word of the day: center \ˈsen-tər\

noun: a point, area, person, or thing that is most important or pivotal in relation to an indicated activity, interest, or condition

verb: to give a central focus or basis

One of my students asked me an interesting question yesterday.  He wanted to know whether or not people in the Middle East refer to the current year as 2011.  What he was really wondering though was if Islamic nations refer to years by B.C./A.D. labels.  It was a good question that I didn't have an answer to.

But then he asked another question. 

"Why is the way we measure years centered around just one guy?"

The irony of the question didn't strike me until I really thought about it last night.  To this particular student, Jesus was nothing more than a historical figure.  Someone who was born, someone who did some cool things, and someone who died.  End of story.  If only this particular student knew that that's not actually where the story ends.  If only he knew that Jesus wasn't "just one guy".  If only He knew that Jesus isn't just the center of time but the center of everything.

If only he knew.

I know that Christ is the noun kind of center.  He's pivotal in relation to everything else. 

I also know that it is my responsibility to place Him at the center.  Knowing only goes so far before the verb has to take over.  Faith requires action, and that's something that seems to be a common lesson in my life right now.  

Easter is usually about reflection for me.  I ponder what Christ did for me.  I grimace at the thought of His pain and reflect upon how His resurrection has affected my life.  Then Easter passes and I stop thinking about it because the Easter lilies are taken off the display shelves in Hy-Vee and the brightly colored eggs are changed to flags because that’s the next holiday in tow. 

I’d like this Easter to be about more.  I’d like to remember Christ at the center, but I’d also like to do something about it.  I’d like to turn a noun into a verb.  I’d like to travel back in time to tell my student that it makes perfect sense that time is centered around Jesus. 

He’s that important.  Happy Easter!

No comments: