I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

support.

word of the day: support \sə-ˈport\ to endure bravely or quietly; assist; help

I saw support personified this weekend.  I tasted its sweetness on my tongue.  I heard it in song and smelled its very presence.  This weekend support came in many forms. 

Support brought an endless amounts of food to my Aunt Becky's table.  The crock pots overfloweth and the meat and cheese trays kept replenishing themselves.  Support tasted like sweet pickles and maple pastries (although I wouldn't suggest putting the two together). 

Support spoke softly and unselfishly; it sang sweetly and confidently. 

Support sent beautiful arrangements of flowers from hundreds of miles away.  Today support smelled of lilies, carnations, daisies, and the occasional tulip.  

I didn't think I would be very emotional at my grandmother's funeral.  The end of her life was marked with much suffering because of Alzheimer's, and so, with death came great healing.  In addition, when someone you love goes through the process of Alzheimer's, you grieve along the way.  It hasn't been grandma for a long time, so I didn't really feel the need to mourn her death.  
Then support entered the scene.  He flew in and out of the scene so seamlessly that you almost didn't notice him.  He smiled at you quietly, refilled the cooler of pop, and dropped off a delicious fruit salad (complete with pineapple).  He touched your shoulder, poured you a cup of coffee, and went completely out of his way to let you know you were cared for.  Completely out of his way.

That's what gets me.  The support I mean.  My family was surrounded by people who cared unselfishly this weekend and to be on the receiving end of that is a humbling experience. 

But as I watched the slide show honoring my grandma's life, I realized that support has been there all along regardless of how noticeable his presence may have been.  Throughout the various pictures, support came in the form of aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, cousins, great-grand babies, and the cousins of cousins who really seem to be regular cousins anyways.  
Today I was reminded of the fact that support and family are interchangeable.  They are one in the same in the way they endure life both bravely and quietly.  Today I was reminded of how sweet my extended family is and I believe much of that can be attributed to how much my grandma valued family.  Family gatherings were many when I was young and they always centered around whatever my grandma had to offer.  Which usually came in the form of obstacle courses, sewing machines, and the hot tub that used to sit in her sun room.  

My family rejoiced in my grandma's death today because death isn't the end of the story.  Alzheimer's no longer attacks her body.  She has been restored.  Healed.  Rejuvenated.  Today my grandma lives. 

And today I learn another lesson in love.  A lesson that helps me to appreciate the family God has blessed me with and reminds me to support the people in my life who need supporting.  Because, good grief, when your friends from Iowa send flowers to your family all the way in Ohio, you feel pretty darn loved.

My cousin Michael shared a hymn today in his memories about my grandma.  It's reflective of her relationship with Christ and I can't stop thinking about its theme.
If God leads you to walk
A way that you know,
It will not benefit you as much as
If He would lead you to take the way
That you do not know.
This forces you to have
Hundreds and thousands of
Conversations with Him,
Resulting in a journey that is an
Everlasting memorial
Between you and Him.
May he lead us down roads we do not know so that we can grow from conversations with Him and learn from the support we receive along the way.  I think my grandma understood that very well, and I'm thankful that she set that example for us.  The journey our family takes is sweeter because of it.

No comments: