I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

bob.

word of the day: bob \ˈbäb\

"Bob" can have a lot of meanings. Kids love to bob for apples around Halloween. My mom has a really cute bob haircut right now. You can buy bobbleheads, bobby pins, and use bobbers when you're fishing. For the sake of this Father's Day post, though, Bob is simply the name of my dad.



If you've never met Bob, you're missing out. He's one of the best people I know, and I wanted to take this chance to share just a few of the things I love about him.

I love that my dad used to wear awesome glasses. Once I tried them on in his bathroom, and was shocked to see how much I looked like him with them on.



I love that my dad taught me how to roller skate, ride a two-wheeler, and throw a softball. He even consented to putting back on my training wheels after I had already mastered riding without. I can remember very vividly throwing the softball in our back yard and riding my back around the neighborhood while my dad ran behind.



I love that my dad never put limits on the number of books I wanted him to read me. He would read me as many books as I could handle in one sitting, and I have fond memories of giggling uncontrollably while he voiced Mucky Moose. I believe that my love of reading today is because of the amount of time I spent reading on my dad's lap or next to him in his bed, and I'm thankful that we share that passion.



I love that my dad has a great sense of humor. I had some friends in high school who used to say that you could probably hear my dad laughing all the way to China, and really, it might be true. He doesn't take himself too seriously and can always put a smile on your face.

I love that my dad makes people feel important. He's genuine, sincere, and cares about the conversations he has with people.

I love that my dad constantly seeks after the will of the Lord. My life would look very different if he had not followed the call to Des Moines Christian. Because of my dad's example of faithfulness, I learned from a very early age that even though it's sometimes scary, the path God paves for you is always best. I'm not sure I could have learned that on my own.

I love that my dad has always empowered me as a woman. When times are scary, new, or unsure, my dad's voice is always in the back of my mind saying he's proud of me or that I'm ready to tackle whatever new adventure is ahead of me. There's just something about your dad rooting for you that boosts your confidence significantly.

I love that my dad can pull something positive out of every situation. He's quick to see the good in people even if they have wronged him and uses experiences as teachable moments. He helps you put life into perspective because of the selfless way he approaches every day.



Frankly, I could go on and on about all the things I love about good ol' Bob, and when i think about it, my Father's Day feelings can be summed up in one word: pride. I am so proud any time I get to tell people that I am Bob Stouffer's daughter, and I know that I will only continue to appreciate him with time.

Thanks for everything, dad. Even that time you swung my chin into the gym floor. It makes for a good story.

It's only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home—it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love.
- Margaret Truman


No comments: