I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Monday, June 14, 2010

diligent.

second word of the day: diligent \ˈdi-lə-jənt\ characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort

My lazy Monday morning didn't last long. As soon as I finished my previous post, I was hit by a wave of motivation. It was the kind of motivation that you have to take advantage of because it doesn't come around very often. It's a sort of turbo motivation and when it comes, I never let myself sit down because I'm afraid it will go away.

I started by making a dent into an online class I've been procrastinating.

From there, I moved to the kitchen. I whipped up some tuna salad for Jake's lunch and some hummus in the food processor for mine. Then, while I was in and out of the refrigerator, I couldn't help but notice how many tupperwares full of moldy food were inside. So, I cleaned out my fridge despite the gag reflex it kept giving me.

But then it smelled like rotten food in my kitchen, so I baked a pan of brownies.

It sounds like one of those "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books, doesn't it?



The juxtaposition (maybe that should have been the word of the day) of my day got me thinking though. Was I wrong to start my day out today with such "laziness?"

The Bible doesn't have much good to say about lazy people.

Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth. Proverbs 10:4

The lazy man does not roast his game, but the diligent man prizes his possessions. Proverbs 12:27


Yikes. Was my afternoon more pleasing to God because of my diligence?

I don't think so. God showered me with a blessing this morning. I was able to enjoy a morning with few obligations and the unusual weekday presence of my husband. I was able to accomplish some things without feeling the stress of deadlines. I was able to ponder, once again. how God's hand is on every aspect of my life.

I didn't deserve it by any means, but I'm thankful for my lazy, diligent, rainy, sunny, dirty, clean, warm, and cold Monday. In some form, it was all those things.

No comments: