I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

mango.

word of the day: mango \ˈmaŋ-(ˌ)gō\ a tropical usually large ovoid or oblong fruit with a firm yellowish-red skin, hard central stone, and juicy aromatic pulp

These are mangoes:



I don't particularly like eating mangoes. I think they taste kind of bitter, and if given the choice, would choose any other fruit to ingest.

Ironically, though, I enjoy all things mango flavored. At the coffee shop (my current place of employment), my favorite type of T-Zing to make is mango. I love mango popsicles and I think once I even bought mango flavored gum. Now, it doesn't compare to my pomegranate obsession, but I do love a good mango flavor.

I still hate mangoes though.

My friend Holli LOVES mangoes. This is Holli:



Holli loves mangoes so much that one time in college she changed the meaning of the word. From that day forward, "mango" meant "awesome," and we would say to each other, "Have a mango day!" She even made us bookmarks. This is the bookmark:



I had a pretty mango day today.

I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning, and it went off right as a thunderstorm was gaining some good power. Rain seems to be a common theme here in Des Moines, especially in the morning, and it's never a good start to the day when you have to get out of bed to a dark and dreary sky. Storms are so much more enjoyable when they lull you to sleep. As I kept snoozing my alarm, I realized that I didn't have anything to do that was more important than that thunderstorm. And so, I let the sound of rain put me back to sleep.

Mango.

I got to see one of my best friends today. Ironically, after this post had already been started, she and her boyfriend brought over a bottle of mango margaritas. Add that to the list of mango things I love. As we sat around our kitchen table eating tacos and a pretty mean batch of homemade guacamole, I was reminded of how sweet friendship is. I have been very blessed to have friends who withstand time and distance. It's so refreshing to just pick up where you left off regardless of how much time has passed.

Mango.

I helped another long-time friend get her wedding favors squared away for her big day this Saturday. We tied "thank you" tags onto Granny Smith apples, and I wished and wished that I would have thought of something that creative for my wedding.

Mango.

Raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries were on sale today. I also selected a close to perfect watermelon to compliment the ninety degree weather.

Mango.

Come to think of it, maybe fruit was the theme of today.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23


I experienced all those fruits in some form today, whether given or received. Once again I am thankful for a glorious summer day because it has simply reminded me of how good God is and how beautiful, joyful, and delicious his creation often is.

With that said, may your day be the ultimate mango.

1 comment:

nobody said...

MANGO DAYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!! so happy!!! i had one just the other day :) love you mols, so glad you remember and still use "mango" and "awesome" as the same from time to time. MISS YOU!! (hols)