I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

eudaemonic.

 word of the day: eudaemonic \yoo-dee-MAH-nik\ producing happiness

I just learned the word eudaemonic via Merriam-Webster's online dictionary.  Apparently Henry Feldman spelled it correctly to win the 1960 Scripp's National Spelling Bee.  There are two reasons why I know this: 1.) I love words enough to look them up on m-w.com and 2.) It's summer and I have time to look up random words on m-w.com. 

Summer.  It produces happiness.

I had great aspirations of blogging more over the summer, but I have found that I'm too busy doing very little to have time to blog.  Ironic isn't it?  And so, this eudaemonic blog has very little substance other than to tell you a few of things I hope to accomplish this summer.  A to-do list of sorts that is really more for me (because if I don't put them down on 'paper' I'm more apt to push them to the back-burner). 

  1. Read books.  Lots of them.  I'm two books down and almost finished with my third.  That's more books read in 2 weeks than I read all of last year.

  1. Relax by the pool.  I'm all over that one.  In fact, between Sunday and Wednesday, I probably spent about 12 hours poolside.  If it weren't for the incessant rain today, I'd be out there right now.

  1. Paint my living room, bathroom, and kitchen.  I'm looking at rust, gray, and chalkboard, respectively.

  1. Paint new paintings for my classroom and bathroom.

  1. Submit a piece of writing to be published.  First on the list is Real Simple's Fourth Annual Life Lessons Essay Contest.  I wrote an essay for this last summer, but didn't make it to the submission part.  

  1. Drink as many iced vanilla lattes as I can.  I also discovered McDonald’s Iced Strawberry Lemonades last week—dangerously delicious.  Darn it.

  1. Cook lots of meals for Jake to make up for his lack of home-cooked meals this past year.

  1. Watch So You Think You Can Dance faithfully (because it’s not summer without it).

  1. Watch all seven Harry Potter movies before the final installment comes out July 15.  I had high hopes of re-reading all the books as well, but I think I’m just going to settle for re-reading The Deathly Hallows.

  1.  Go to the gym at least 5 times a week.  It’s Thursday and I’ve been twice.  I’m on better terms with the treadmill now and I discovered that Pilates is a lot harder than it sounds.  

So, there you go.  If this blog gets sporadically written on (as has been the recent trend), it’s probably because I’m doing one of the above ten things.  Either that, or I’m doing absolutely nothing.  I’ve been known to do a lot of that lately too. It's all very eudaemonic.







   

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I think we think alike. I agreed with a lot of what you wrote and have even thought it myself recently.

I always have a stack of books I want to read and wonder why it is so hard for me to just sit down and enjoy them.

Relax by the pool - hallelujah. My mom has a pool and I love swimming and/or sitting by the pool and eating fresh fruit!!

My sister Chelsea bought me the 7-disk set of all of the H.Po movies for my birthday. We have since watched all of them. I totally want to do it again before the final installment comes out.

And the gym, sigh.... I have been trying to get there 5-6 times a week for a couple weeks now. I have been doing it, but a rainy day like today can certainly zap a girl's energy.