I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Monday, June 27, 2011

list.

word of the day: list \ˈlist\ things to be checked or done.

It should be a well known fact by now that I am a lover of lists.  I don't think a day of school went by this past year that my desk was sans post-it note list (see how much better sentences are with 'sans'?).  

I tried to do summer sans lists too, but let's face it, that's just not me.  So, last week I broke down, made two to-do lists, and taped them to my refrigerator.  
In my case, you will see that color-coordinated, categorized lists are a must.  As you will also see, I have already checked off two boxes in a mere four days since the lists were created.  The main thing that side tracks me from to-do lists though?  Books.  And I have finished a few more in the last few weeks.

Room by Emma Donoghue

This is a heavy book.  While very well written, it feels a little off to say that I liked it.  Truth be told, it was very disturbing, but I couldn't put it down.  The story is narrated by Jack, a 5-year-old, who is born into 'room'.  His mother was abducted before he is born and so all he knows are the walls inside his eleven by eleven foot prison.  To Jack, though, his world is everything it should be and that's what makes his perspective so fascinating.

 The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

I made a glorious discovery the other day.  Public libraries give you the option of checking out e-books straight to your e-reader.  Brilliant.  Last Saturday, I had every intention of checking a few boxes off of my to-do lists, but instead I sat down on my couch and read this book cover to cover.  The irony is that I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.  Allen's writing style wasn't my favorite, and although I got caught up in the story, I don't think I'll check out any more of her books. 

On a slightly related note, I went to see Water for Elephants in the theater this past weekend and can say, for the first time in my life, that I actually enjoyed the movie better than I enjoyed the book.  Go figure.

I suppose it's also worth saying that I went to see the aforementioned movie alone which is a new pastime I enjoy very much.  I checked that item off the bucket list in May when Jake was in Chicago for his brother's graduation.  When I told my 9th graders I had seen a movie alone, here were a few of the common responses:
Seriously?  WHY?
Didn't you invite anyone to come with you?
Didn't you feel like a loser?
Weren't you embarrassed sitting in the theater by yourself? 
 You had better believe that I held my ground against the persecution.  Going to movies alone rocks. If you've never done it, you really should.

Well, the to-do lists are calling.  The folded laundry on my coffee table is pleading to be put away and the cold pasta on my stove is announcing its stiffness.  Mostly though, I think it's looking forward to taking residence inside a very clean refrigerator.
Before I go though--Happy Anniversary, Timmy and Kelly.  You guys are the best! And by the best, I mean I'm not sure what we would do without you.
 Can you believe this is the best picture I have of the two of you from your wedding?  That's embarrassing.  I'll make it up to you with some really great pictures in Mexico.  :)

No comments: