I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

noteworthy.

word of the day: noteworthy \-ˌwər-thē\ worthy of or attracting attention especially because of some special excellence

The title of this blog post is rather ironic because I feel like I really don't have anything noteworthy to say.  That seems to be a common theme in my thoughts lately.  I don't blog because I don't feel that I have anything to say that is of any "special excellence".  They are just regular old thoughts spinning around in my head.  The problem with feeling like I always have to have something significant to blog about is that I stop writing.  That's not really a problem for you so much as it is a problem for me.  I like to write.  

And so begins my quest to write more.  To sit down at my computer even if I don't have anything especially important to say.  Here goes nothing...

I won an iPad a few months ago.  The story goes that they drew my name out of a raffle for the big prize of the night.  You will notice Tess to my right with her prize of free carpet cleaning.  Obviously we were both equally thrilled.

I initially wasn't quite sure what to do with the iPad.  Unsure, that is, until I downloaded iBooks, the Nook App, and the Kindle App.  As a lover of literature, I didn't think I could make the switch to electronic books, but I am now, without question, a full convert.  Convenience beats the feel of pages through your fingertips because a mere tap of your fingertip is all it takes to turn the page.  For my fellow book junkies, here are my reviews of the first two books I read on my new toy:

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

I read this 500 page book in four days and cried literally the entire last 5 chapters.  I don't think I have ever become so emotionally invested in the lives of characters before.  It's long but moves quickly, and if you've ever had a best friend--it's well worth the read.  Just keep a box of tissues handy and avoid reading it in public.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I wanted to love this book, but I just didn't.  It comes with a good story, but didn't come attached with enough character development for me.  It's hard to root for a love story when you feel fairly indifferent about the woman.  I thought what Gruen did with the Prologue was interesting and Jacob's character as an old man grew on my by the end.

I also recently finished the book Light or Darkness: Reclaiming the Light in Sports by a certain Dr. Bob Stouffer.  In case you've never heard of him, he's a pretty big deal around these parts.  It's not readily available to the public, but if you're in any way involved in sports you should contact me for your own copy.  The new philosophy proposed will change the way you play, coach, and watch. Shoot, I may even be able to get an autographed copy for you...

Jake and I ran out of food this week.  You know what I mean.  We still have food, but we ran out of the basic essentials: meat, bread, and pasta.  We realized that the aforementioned were no more on Monday the 13th but decided to see if we could make it until payday on the 20th.  I want to emphasize the fact that this was a joint decision or challenge, if you will, and not a personal refusal to go to the grocery store.  In any case, it is now Thursday and Jake and I have managed to make two pretty decent meals based upon what turns up between the cupboard, fridge, and freezer.

Wednesday: Vegetarian Tacos
Ingredients found: brown rice, taco shells (hidden in back of fridge, mind you), jalapeño pepper, onion, frozen corn, re-fried beans

Instructions: Chop onion and pepper.  Saute in extra virgin olive oil.  Stir in rice and corn.  Spread re-fried beans on taco shell and add rice mix.

Thursday: Smoked Chuck Roast and Chick Pea Rice
Ingredients found: 1/2 chuck roast (forgot about this one stowed away in the freezer), brown rice, garlic, onion, chick peas (garbanzo beans)

Instructions: Have a handy husband who smokes delicious things.  In the meantime, finely chop garlic and onion.  Saute in extra virgin olive oil.  Add chick peas to pan.  Add rice.   

  

My camera can't be trusted to take quality pictures, but you get the idea.  It's a fun game.

What else have I been thinking about?  Summer wind makes the best blow- dryer. Starbucks at dusk on a "busy" downtown Des Moines street is lovely.  I think studying for medical boards is a little more difficult with me across the table.  Izze Sparkling Blackberry is a nice compliment to the tap, tap of my computer keys.  Skorts can be cute and pearl earrings make everything feel a little fancier.  C.S. Lewis is fascinating and walks with Jake on a summer night are close to perfection.

I guess when I really sit down and think about it, there really are some noteworthy things going on.  Special excellence doesn't always refer to an extraordinary event.  Maybe it just means paying a little closer attention to the little things each day.  With that, you'll be hearing from me soon...

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Oh, I loved this. And I am sooo glad you posted your book reviews because I couldn't remember the name of the book you recommended! Now I think I will have to stop by the library on my way home from work tomorrow. =) Your summer is sounding LOVELY so far!