I've moved!

I'm still writing; you just won't find me here any longer. If you want to keep reading my writing, head over to mollyflinkman.com. I'll keep a cup of coffee warm for you.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

forgotten.

word of the day: forgotten \fər-ˈget, for-\ to treat with inattention or disregard; to give up hope for or expectation of; to fail to become mindful at the proper time

Our small group just finished reading the book Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan.  Chan suggests that in looking at the Trinity, Christians often overlook the presence of the Spirit.  I fall into that category not because I don't believe in the Holy Spirit, but because I don't think I have ever fully understood the Holy Spirit.

This book is transforming my perspective on the purpose of my life.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this message means for me, and to help me in my processing, I'm going to share with you some of pieces from his book that stand out to me as especially profound.  Like usual, this is more for me than it is for you.  :)
One concern I've often heard (and felt) is, what if I pray for the Holy Spirit and nothing happens?  What if I ask for more of the Spirit's fruit in my life and don't see any apparent "results"?...I think the fear of God failing us leads us to "cover for God." This means we ask for less, expect less, and are satisfied with less because we are afraid to ask for or expect more...I can't imagine how much it pains God to see His children hold back from relationship with the Holy Spirit out of fear that he won't come through (47-48).
 When the Holy Spirit truly moves, God is the one praised...Let's pray that God would empower us so radically that we would get no glory.  That people would see our works and glorify God (87).
It is true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are.  But it's absolutely vital to grasp that He didn't call you there so you could settle in and live out your life in comfort and superficial peace...If you are still alive on this planet, it's because He has something for you to do (92).
I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power.  I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through (142).
 You are most likely familiar with the "fruit passage" in Galatians 5, which says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law" (vv. 22-23 NIV).  You may even have the list memorized.  But look over those traits right now and ask yourself if you possess each to a supernatural degree (146).
 God wants the praise for what we do in our lives.  But if we never pray audacious, courageous prayers, how can He answer them (150)?
God continue to reminds me that my faith requires action. I can't do the work He has set out for me unless I take steps in His direction.  Chan gives an illustration about buying a treadmill then taking it back three months later only to complain that it doesn't work; you didn't lose any weight.  When the salesperson asks what's wrong with the machine, you reply that you're not sure because you never actually used it.

So are the prayers I pray passively.  The times I ask God to help me forgive a person but then take no initiative to move past my own bitterness.  The times I ask God to help me love people better but then don't act on the opportunities He provides for me.  The times I ask God to make His Spirit real to me but then just sit back and expect it to happen subconsciously.  

I am not a passive participant.  Instead, I'm asked to play an active role in the journey (128).  

It struck me that the definitions of "forgotten" all contain within them separate verbs (infinitives if you want to get especially specific): to treat with inattention, to give up hope, to fail to become mindful.  I see very clearly now that neglecting the power of the Holy Spirit in my life is a choice and not a choice I'd like to be making any longer.

For me, it starts with prayer.  Prayer that God will help me to be more aware of the Spirit's presence in my life.  That I would see more clearly the opportunities to do His work and hear more clearly His teaching.  That I would desire a life that is unexplainable without Him.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.  [I] don't know exactly what that means and looks like for [me] yet, in the particular place you've called [me] to inhabit.  But, nonetheless, whatever it means, [I] ask for Your presence.  Come, Holy Spirit, come (166).
Chan, Francis, and Danae Yankoski. Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit. Colorado Springs, CO: David C. Cook, 2009. Print.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Thank you for writing about this! I just pulled this book off of our bookshelf to read this week!